Saturday, March 3, 2007

Elendil Berates Traitor Pence

I know this is old news by now, but I had been teaching a class this week and hadn't had any time to post. Not that this <>comes as any suprise. Especially after he chose not to seek re-election with Fletcher last year.

What did suprise me was Pence's decision to go to the media and do the Norhtup's campaigns dirty work. I don't know how else to explain his interview with the Lexington Herald. One in which he tried to paint the Fletcher administration in Nixonian terms.

I'm quite confident that there was a fear about how high it would go up in this administration," Pence said.

He also said that the deal Fletcher later struck with Attorney General Greg Stumbo to end the hiring investigation was made "to keep anything else from coming out."

Where is your proof? How come you didn't go to the AG or the media of there was this great cover up? Heck Pence was on the inside of the administration. He should have plenty of proof of misdoing. But instead he comes out and talks broadly of "coverups" to protect "high ups" in the Governors office. Give me a break.

This is a new low in political betrayal. It is so bad that former Governor and now state senator Jullian Carrol called out Pence on the floor of the senate. I don't agree very much with Carrol, but he does have the unique insight of actually having been a governor. And as such, he understands the need for loayalty among those in your inner circle. I am sure that Pence's disloyalty infuriated him as much as it does me.

And it showed Carrol's speech on the floor.

"He’s become a Brutus to the people of Kentucky," Carroll said ...

"It is time, it is past time, that he show at least some humility, that he show at least some character, and offer his resignation to the governor of Kentucky as lieutenant governor," Carroll said of Pence.

"He has nothing to do. He has got troopers following him around and protecting him. He’s driving around in a vehicle for which you and I are paying the gas bill, and we’re paying for his own staff. I’m not sure he even has a staff these days."

His speech was so effective that members from both sides of the isle in the senate gave him a standing ovation.

"The lieutenant governor is really serving no practical purpose," said Sen. Damon Thayer, R-Georgetown.

Sen. Alice Forgy Kerr, R-Lexington, said, "While I was surprised that the comments came from a member of the opposite party who probably shouldn’t be meddling … I tend to agree with him.

"An important characteristic, to me, that a person should have is loyalty. I feel that we have not seen any loyalty in Lt. Gov. Pence’s actions."

Sen. Dan Seum, R-Louisville, said, "I don’t always agree with Julian Carroll but I tend to agree with him on this. It’s supposed to be a team effort. But when the going got tough, Mr. Pence got gone."

I am sure that a majority of Republicans in the state feel the same as these state senators about Pence. I know the Norhtup strategy is to trash Fletcher. But I think they made a mistake by sending Pence out to help with the assault.

Personally, I feel it will have the opposite effect. People at the end of the day understand loyalty. And at some point the rhetoric from the Northup campaign will strike as disloyalty. Which is why when push comes to shove, I think Northup's campaign will fade and Fletcher will easily win the primary.

No comments:

KYConservativeBlogs.com
KYConservativeBlogs Network
KYRepublicanVoice.com
All-Encompassingly.com
Another Opinion
Bluegrass Institute Blog
Blue Grass, Red State
ConservaChick
Conservative Edge
Conservative Musings
CyberHillbilly
Elendils Blog
Jefferson Review
Jim Clarks Muckraker
Kentucky Club for Growth
Kentucky Pachyderm 2
Kentucky Progress
KYPolitcs.org
On the Right!
Osi Speaks!
The Pure Investor
Right Foot Forward
Right in Kentucky
Steele's Kentucky
Tri-County Consulting
Vere Loqui